1.4K views

I was pressured into first buying a 2br unit for $20K back in 2009. When I returned in 2010 I was again pressured into "upgrading" to the 3br lock-out unit for $27K. Now that I want out (to save money to buy a house) I have seen the ugly side of this company.

They will not buy it back (although they promised to at signing). They will not help you sell it (although your friendly sales associate offered to help you with any realestate concerns you may have in the future). They are also selling the packages way above market value; my $27K unit is only worth $3K at best on the resale market and I still owe $26K + $800 per year in taxes. They do not report to the credit bureau monthly for the "GOOD" payments but if you stop it will be reported as a "FORECLOSURE" on your credit; and that will prevent you from buying a house for 2 years.

This is a night mare and I am going to see a lawyer on Monday 23 May 2011. If anyone else would like to be a part of a class action suit please join me. I have lots of other ideas to get justice. I am still an owner and that gives me the right to be on the property. I would like to be there warning the inocent people about this scam. The world will hear us if we speak out together!!

My email is candace.frank91@yahoo.com

Comments

I know this was a while back, but just curious what was the outcome?

Is it too late to participate in the suit?

I'm so sad. My husband and I have owned a 3 bedroom even-year July timeshare in Orlando.

We've owned for 6 years now and have never been able to use the weeks due to availability. We have made good use of the 'getaways', but we are paying for something we should already be getting with the $18,000 we already paid. I found this thread when I was looking for a way to sell the timeshare.

Now my stomach aches. It is paid for, but every other year we pay the $800 if maintenance fees and it kills us that we can't even use it.

Ridx

Here are some agencies for everyone to contact that are on this class or people whom are fed up with west gate and their deceptive practices. The more people that contact all these agencies the quicker they will be investigated for fraud and ethics on state and federal charges.

1)FTC 1(877)382-4357

2)HUD 1(800)347-3735

3)Bureau of Compliance,Regulations and Complaints,Orlando 1(850)488-1122

4)FL Dept of AG and Consumer Services 1(800)435-7352

Out of FL 1(850)410-3800

5)Div of Consumer Services(timeshares) 1(850)487-1395

6)FL Public Service Commission 1(800)342-3552.

If everyone and I mean everyone that reads these posts contacts all these agencies they will have plenty of ammunition to go after them on several State and Federal charges.Lets give them their just action for all of their deceptive practices and fraud to all they encounter.

My finance and I went to Vegas September of last year. Where we were introduced to the lovely Planet Hollywood Westgate resort.

There we met with a representative and sat thru and 90 min presentation. We told the lady from the beginning that we were too young and no interested in the timeshare. She was seemed aggravated by us and brought over 3 other reps to help sell the timeshare where we again said no. They finally offered us a trial period where we could pay $50 per month for a max of 2yrs come back to vegas for a free 7 day stay if we purchase the timeshare and get a refund or just enjoy a vacation on the expense of the money you paid over the years.

So we agreed. In December I contacted Westgate explaining to them that we were unable to pay the monthly payment and wanted to void the "contract" I was told that they could not break the agreement.

Now I have a collection agency calling me and I dont need another debt because I am actually in the process of purchasing a REAL home. Could anyone tell me if they can place this on my credit report even though I have not purchased a timeshare from them?

This company is taking peoples money for their gain to build the second tower. They are hiding behind a lot of paperwork.

They make a big scene you feel excited you buy. They lie about everything. You can not do what the sales persons says. It is in the handbook.

This company MUST be STOPPED!!! The lady who was making the company sound good must be an employee.

to Silent Brooklyn, New York, United States #627099

How can a crock steal your money and get away with it?

Want be long NOW, They are in for a bumpy RIDE. NOW..

I have some good new we have a NEW Attorney from JTB Law Group for a Class Action

Call ASAP, direct, 1201 360 0251

Fax1-855 582 5297

E;mail, gianmfanelli@jtblawgroup.com

PLEASE PASS THIS INFO ON , everyone have a Westgate Timeshare and want to join a Class Action. "Now is the time"

to Ashley Pineville, Louisiana, United States #799796

My name is Justin Netherlin and my email is jneth4971@yahoo.com I was induced by lies to sign westgates contract at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort in Gatlinburg TN

These salesmen will lie to you and tell the consumer he or she can make a profit from purchasing the time share. This is a lie and in the contract that they will try to rush you through it states I or we understand that no representations have been made as to investment potential or resale profit.

Brett Chaffin a time share sales man will tell you about how much money you can make and :( your going to make a ton of money with this timeshare. LIE.I was scammed by westgate and would love to sign up for a Class Action against these crooks.

I have reached out to ftc, bbb, trec, attorney general of Tennessee.

to Anonymous #1366741

We fell under the same fake promises....at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort (which by the way burned down last year and we are still obligated to make our payments) - We have not been able to find a way out....we have NEVER been able to use due to availability etc.,

ANYBODY HAVE AN ANSWER?

Two years ago, my husband and I purchased a timeshare for $12,000 in Las Vegas with Westgate resorts. Our timeshare is only for every even year. We paid the entire purchase price on the spot. Upon our return to Canada we tried to contact the "notary" (that is what we call the person who witnesses the signing of the deed) and she never returned our phone calls. The Westgate representive who sold us the unit and gave us her personnal cell phone number if we had any questions, told us in the end that we weren't giving this a chance and that we were being too demanding to then hang up on us. Let me tell you that if we had been aware of the cancellation period we would have done it in a heartbeat back then.

However, today we are left to pay the maintenance fees every two years.

At the time when we purchased this even-year timeshare we were told all kinds of promises that have never transpired such as depositing our week with interval international and having the opportunity to exchange our week for another resort anywhere in the world. That being said, we have yet to be able to use our timeshare because of no availability.

No one ever told us we needed to pay our maintenance fees before depositing our week. So that is what we did back in 2010 and still are unable to find anything. And we have until March 21st 2012 to use the deposited week or we lose that week.

Now, after reading posts after posts, we realize we most likely will never get the opportunity to use our timeshare.

In response to #1,

First of all don't talk to me like that. I am not ***.

I am well aware that a contract is an agreement and you can way what you want about WG, in my opinion they are a SCAM and that is how I feel. If you don't agree then that is fine but don't talk to me like that. Now, I remember be PRESSURED into signing the "contract" both times. Then first time was because I had been paying for the trial version of the time shares where I would use the sister company for get-aways for 2 years plus a 7-day stay at the resort in Orlando (where they go in for the kill).

I had paid $50 per month for 2 years and never used anything but the 7-day (supposed to be free) stay at the resort at the end of the 2 years. Now when I got there they sat me down for the 90 min death trap and when I said no, the lady said that the program was designed to attract owners and if I didn't want to be an owner the stay was no longer "free" and I would owe a bill of $1200 for that weeks stay....mind you this 90 min sit down was 3 days into the vacation. They got me.....So I got an affordable plan and said to *** with it, it will be nice to be able to go on vacation every year and invite my family without them having to pay a lot of money; this is good. So I invited my mother and sister the following year and low and behold, I HAD to attend another 90 min sit down.

When I said no to the upgrade, I was called *** for not taking the offer this is the deal of a life time, but still I said no. Then the lady showed up at my room and that is when I just said fine, if it will make you leave us alone fine.......so that is how it happened the second time. Now I am stuck with a $500 monthly payment and an $800 maintenance fee....That is $14500 per year for a 1-2 week vacation. If that is not a scam I don't know what is and I am not interested in being a part of it.

Say what you want but those details were not thoroughly discussed at the signing so before you criticize me for wanting to do something nice for my family, think about what was done to me. If you don't agree with what I am saying that is fine, but don't talk to me like I am ***. I am very aware of what a contract means. In a legitimate sale of reals estate the broker is supposed to take their time and explain every detail BEFORE the closing not fast talk circles around you and show you fabulous units, and sale you a dream that is contradicted in the closing office AFTER you have already signed your life away.

Seriously, if you don't agree, move on. I can say what I want to say about WG and yo don't have to agree, but keep your insults to yourself.

to Mrs. Grover Brooklyn, New York, United States #627658

The attorney is waiting to take your call's  JTB Law Group; Nationwide.

Contact ASAP for Class Action, put your name on the list.

N0  money unless he win your case and no out of pocket up front.

If he take you on he will send you a retainer to sign.You need to state your Case.

John : 201 360 0251

Email: gianmfanelli@jtblawgroup.com

Fax 855-582-5297

Please pass this info. on..

Mrs Grover,

I recently posted on this site on the LAWSUIT blog about Westgate. Go read it.

I dont see how this is a scam. You agreed to purchase...not once...but twice. When you signed the closing documents...both times you signed a "Proposal Review"...go read it. About the 7th line down it says "Westgate does not recommend any 3rd Party Resale or Rental companies". The manager should have reviewed this with you and Im sure that you initialed every single line of it. Next, you went to a different "closing" office where the "deeder" once again reviewed this document with you. Westgate doesnt buy back timeshares. They sell them. You can sell to anyone you like but NEVER pay anyone any up front fees. They are the SCAMMERS.

When you say they are selling packages "way above market value"...what do you mean? Are you relying on information from one of these "scammers" who charge up front fees? Go to any timeshare company...Disney, Marriott, Wyndham, Hilton...they all have higher priced units than Westgate with MUCH higher maintenance fees.

Also, I am quite sure that you are wrong about the credit report. Check again. They report the good with the bad.

I think its really unfair to accuse Westgate of a SCAM. What they promised you, they gave you. You apparently dont want to fulfill your obligations...Would you sue your auto finance company if they ruined your credit for not paying them? No, they would repo the car and hammer your credit for defaulting on your obligations. Contracts are agreements afterall.

to Pay your bills and this wouldn Waterloo, Iowa, United States #651150

1. You need to research what YOU say, because you are WRONG.

They do NOT report to the credit agencies if you are in good standing. My Wife and I have made multiple real estate transactions since we've owned our Westgate property, and most recently took out a construction loan for a $500K house. The Westgate financing NEVER even shows up on the credit report.

2. I would generally agree with you that this is technically not a scam, but I do consider it highly unethical and predatory sales.

They will tell you anything to get you to buy and put potential buyers who have NO business making this type of purchase under tremendous pressure using highly researched techniques including psychological manipulation. What they do is not illegal, but it is WRONG.

I'm not some pansy bleeding heart, and think that people are responsible for their actions, but that doesn't make what Westgate does acceptable either. They are modern day snake-oil salesmen.

to Pay your bills and this wouldn Livingston, California, United States #681448

You are wrong Westgate is a crook!!!! I bought a timeshare at the Sunny Isles in Florida 10 years ago, and paid in full when I purchased it.

I asked if the maintenance fees were ever going to change every year and the rep clearly said no twice. Of course she lied only the first year it was the amount I agreed, (350.00) the second time I was billed it was for 900.00 I questioned it and they said I had too pay or i wiil be send to collection. I did not pay, the third time they bill me 2000.00 for maintenance fees in one year, so now I owe $2900. on fees!!!

and only used the facilities once. Currently, I owe $5900. on fees and its on my credit report.

Their collection out five contacted me and offer me no maintenance fees if you sign the deed over to them!

I would like to be a part of your suit. Please call me 240-216-2107

I hope somebody shuts that company down!! They are just evil!! They have stolen so much money from trusting people!!

Good luck to you.